Saturday, September 5, 2015

Day 5

Day 5 allowed me to sleep in until 10:00, although I was up last night until about 2, writing the previous blog post and skyping Ashleigh. At ten, I got up and showered in the scolding shower which never turns cold, even when I put the cold on full blast. I literally can't stand under the shower head and have to lean my head under the water as to not get burned. It's an adventure every time. On Saturdays we only get brunch at 11:30, so all of us ate, and I stashed a muffin, croissant, banana, and apple in my purse for later. Our walking tour started again at 12:00, and we took the tube over to the Camden Market. It was so crowded but unbelievable.  Mom and Dad would love trying all the new food. Our Professor just did a once around basically of the market, so there wasn't any time to buy any food or souvenirs.  I definitely want to go back to buy a giant cronut I saw and visit the Cereal Killer Cafe which was on my list to do after I saw it on buzzfeed.  Basically its a cafe with cereals that aren't sold in the US anymore and they customize them and add different toppings. Some girl bought two pairs of shoes there for 100 pounds because she didn't bring any sensible walking shoes (facepalm). I also had to run to the bathroom because I'm not allowed bathroom breaks ever. After the Market we attempted to go to Hyde Park.  This journey made me really frustrated because our professor would not tell us where we were going so we didn't know what stop to get off.  At one point, he just jumped on the Tube as it was closing, and all but two kids were left behind on the station. That wouldn't be bad if we had made a meeting spot or had known where we were going, but instead we just jumped on the next one and had to look out at each station to find our professor. Also, we got on the wrong train three times, and at this point I was about to be the leader because I could have found our way better. We got to Hyde Park at about 4, and walked around and I ate my cafeteria food from this morning. Everyone else was complaining about hunger and other people learned that some bathrooms are not free, so I felt pretty city savvy today. I also fed the ducks with my croissant :) We walked to Kensington Palace, which is not as pretty as I thought it was, and then walked around the area. Our professor then let us go on our own to eat, but five of us decided to go back to Richmond to eat. We got back to Richmond at about 7, and found a Mexican restaurant to eat at close by.  We tried to find a good dessert on the way back but were unsuccessful. I'm surprised that all the shops and restaurants here close early, at about five or six. We made the trek up the hill back to campus, and started watching Toy Story in the common room until we realized it was it Danish. Instead, Emelia and I planned our day trips to Platform 9 3/4 and the Sherlock Holmes museum. Tomorrow our professor leaves, so we have a whole day to ourselves to do whatever.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe Mom and Dad aren't such bad tour guides after all!
    Glad you are having fun and enjoying the sights! We are jealous (except of your shower situation...)

    ReplyDelete