Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Day 50

Today was our field trip where we had to wake up earlier than we would have had to do for regular class time. It took us about an hour or so to get to the actual location which was in East End London, and luckily we all brought our study guides to look at on the long ride. When we got there, we met our tour guide who then walked us around different places in the East End. The tour guide was chosen specifically to talk to us about workers' protests and strikes and sweatshops that existed during that time and immigrants that moved to that area. The class has gone from being an economics class to sweatshops to climate change all within three weeks. Really random. Most of the tour was pretty interesting, but it was stressful trying to learn everything because half of the test tomorrow was on what we learned today. We also spent a lot of the time trying to figure out whether the random guy (that wasn't introduced to us) the teacher brought with her was her boyfriend, husband, or really close friend, because it was a very important question. After the walking tour (which took about 2 hours), we headed over to a Bangladesh restaurant. The teacher ended up ordering a lot of extra food besides what we had already ordered, so there was too much extra food. I ordered a lamb dish with ginger and yogurt but the teacher had bought rice and naan bread and samosas to share amongst us all so we were all stuffed. The only downside was that the lunch took two hours, but the food was good. Afterwards our teacher wanted to travel another 30 minutes to visit Greenwich, but at this point it was almost 3 and we had a lot of studying to do and we were still an hour away, so no one agreed to go with her. We walked back, after stopping at a place called Dum Dum Donuts to get a cronut (literal heaven) which was my supper tonight since I was too full from the food to go down to have an actual supper. We spent the rest of the day studying for accounting and our other class exam. It's terrible that we have both midterms on the same day, even though our other class doesn't end until Thursday. Thursday we have a presentation due but we haven't even had the chance to start yet. I got three letters in the mail today, so that brightened my day! <3 I also went down to Tesco, got a cheap calculator for the exam (which everyone else here who brought a calculator had to go buy because our teacher sent us an email saying we couldn't use graphing calculators) and got some peanut butter and a loaf of bread for Italy. I borrowed a small carry on suitcase from a guy in our group to use for Italy because I don't think I can manage to put 6 days stuff in my backpack. I'm not bringing my laptop to Italy because I don't want to leave it in the hostel, so next week my blog might be really quiet. My phone is also being temperamental with me even though I deleted 1,000 photos off of it last night, so that's tomorrow's goal. We looked up some more stuff to do in Italy and how to get to each place and we will continue doing that tomorrow too. It's weird because all of us booked the same flight but Emelia and I booked one hostel, three other another hostel, and so forth. I think 7 of us are going in total. Looking forward to some pizza, gelato, and pasta.
Brick Lane

Random Church

Lamb

Half-eaten cronut

No comments:

Post a Comment