Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Disney College Program - Training Day 1

Today was my first day of training. I got my costume yesterday and it's not too bad. You get 5 costumes at a time, so I have 5 pairs of black dress-ish pants (size 18 because Disney sizes are literally crazy), 5 shirts (size 2xs because once again the sizes are weird), 5 aprons (blue and red), 1 weird puffy hat, 1 belt, and 1 red rain jacket. Another girl and I met in Hollywood Studios, ready for our first day of training. However, at 10:15, no one had come to pick us up so we were freaking out and had to call and ask someone about where our trainer was. Apparently there was a mix up, but eventually this guy who's been at Studio Catering Co. for 8 years came to get us. We first went to do an online certification test to serve alcohol, so we got to walk at the back of the Tower of Terror, which was so cool. We got to see so much of the backstage, including an all cast member cafeteria with Subway and a cast member store. After that we went to our location, and I love it already. It's small and everyone is really friendly, and there's this older lady who's also from CT so we talked a lot. It reminded me of Panera, so I wasn't as nervous because it was something I was used to. However, our trainer basically through us right into the work, so I was really stressed. I was supposed to work counter, which means that I consolidate the food, drinks, and desserts and give them to the guests. It was so hard though because I didn't know where anything was, didn't know how to properly pour beer, and when the ticket said Star Wars cupcake I got confused because there was literally 3 different types of Star Wars cupcakes. It was a lot of learning all at once, and I even got to make salads and it was stressful, especially when the Lights, Motor, Action show ended and it was a big rush. I felt more comfortable afterwards, though, and the time went by fast. We took a break, and they let us sample the food (turkey panini and tomato soup!) so it was fun. By the time we came back, it was almost time to close which was so nice. I just have a lot of terms to learn about how to speak to the guests in 'Hollywood' speech, and need to memorize the ingredients in everything. Besides that, I'm fine. One girl who is on her second day wants to quit because she thinks she smells like food and doesn't want to do dishes. But everyone else is so nice, and there's about 8 college program kids so we all work well together. The hours work out so nicely too and walking behind all the rides and shows is the coolest thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment